Sunday 23 October 2011

Peasant For A Day!

So, I haven't even had breakfast yet, and I'm already thinking about (and savouring over) dinner.  I am trying out a new creation, something I endearingly call "Peasant Lasagne".  


I must have been a peasant in one of my more memorable past lives, because I simply adore peasant food ~ food that rolls over your taste buds like fine port and then hugs you from the inside.  Give me a glorious bowl of Chanterelle & Leek Risotto over an elegantly piled up plate of fine nouveau cooking any day!  While the latter is certainly beautiful and will undoubtedly delight the palette, the stacked up creations are difficult to eat and it seems a shame to dismantle such works of art.  For me, the fewer encumbrances in between me and my food, the better!


But I digress, as usual.  Peasant Lasagne is made with thinly sliced bread instead of lasagne noodles, so it is a great way to use up your old, not so fresh any more rustic Italian bread.  Since bread of that caliber never seems to hang around long in our home, I had to buy a fresh loaf, slice it thinly, and with much restraint, let it sit for a day to dry out some.  


The other delightful ingredient in Peasant Lasagne is grilled eggplant, which promises to be a wonderfully buttery layer of goodness. Remember the trick to eggplant (half inch slices will do) is to salt it well and let the salt draw out the bitterness from the seeds - then rinse it well, dry it, dredge it with flour and pan fry in good quality olive oil until golden.



The rest of the dish is fairly standard fare - a rich, homemade Marinara sauce (use fresh romas or San Marzano tomatoes, if you can find them), fresh basil (or homemade pesto, if you prefer), a good quality grated dry Parmesan, and, of course love!  Just layer up everything, pop it in the oven for a while and wait for the feasting to begin.


As I stir, saute, and layer, my boys will be there, peering over my shoulder, offering encouraging hugs and glasses of wine. Of course, our dog (a fellow foodie!) will anxiously and expectantly roam about the kitchen, "talking" to me, utterly convinced that he deserves his fair portion.  How does it get any better?!

Nine hours till dinner, and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment